Sunday, December 23, 2012

Cement Powder?

Learning in Russia is thru trial and error. Sometimes you get lucky! And sometimes you don't. This is one of those unlucky times. I have a stack of sugar cookies waiting to be decorated. I started to make my icing. I dumped this package into my butter to be creamed. It didn't look right. It looked like cement powder. Don't ask me how I know that. I continue to mix and realize something isn't right. I dip my finger into the powder to taste. Nope! Not sugary....I have bought powdered sugar many times before. This does not have the word sugar on it, but the picture looks exactly like it, does it not? I bought it anyway thinking this manufacturer labels things differently. We are in Russia after all, so it is completely possible! You would have done the same thing right? I grab my handy dandy iPad and translate this baby. Well, it isn't powdered sugar.....it's potato starch! So, my dear expat bakers....this is what you look for if you want Potato Starch. In the meantime, I have cookies waiting for their coats of decorations with nothing to decorate them with.

No comments: