Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Falling Leaves, Bug Bites and a Caged Animal


Clouds quickly wash in and out over the streets of Moscow. Depending on their mood, they decide whether they want to part; allowing a crystal blue sky to peak through with a touch of warm sunshine...just enough to take the cool edge off your bare ankles. The leaves are slowly changing their colors from a bright green to the crisp hues of autumn. Walking down a damp path spotted with mud and puddles leaves fall from the sky like feathers from a pillow fight.


I have been bitten by a bug. It's not the first time I have been bitten.  In years past the side effects usually whither away after a few months.  I'm afraid the side effects from this bite may never go away.  In fact, I think it will turn into a life long illness.  This could be considered very serious by some, especially my family. Yet I remain calm internally and somewhat excited.  Unexpected...no?  But what is a girl to do?  What do you do when you have been bitten by the travel bug?  It has been six weeks that I have been displaced from my home, my home country, my mother tongue, my family and all that is familiar to me.  And I am excited! I love it here....strong statement, I know, but I really am enjoying myself.  It has been six weeks and I am already thinking ahead to where we will go after our contract is up.

I don't want to come home.  I want to travel, see the world, live and experience it.  I have found a new joy in me! I wake up excited to wonder what the day has in store for me.  Perhaps ask me after my first Russian winter and I may have a different perspective.  It was said this morning if you can make it through October and November you are through the worst if it.  I am not quite convinced of this!  Actually, I am a bit scared.  It is only the end of September. The temperature today was 50 degrees.  We've got a long way to go! 

Despite the upcoming weather, lack of decent dryer and a supermarket that has everything...I love it. So, no I don't want to come home.  We live in an amazing city where you are kept on your toes with too much to see and do in one day. Where do live in America after a place like Moscow? New York? Chicago? Los Angeles? I will be ripping my hair out strand by strand if we end up in a smaller place. And the schools? After this school, where do the munchkins go? The best public school in America does not even hold a candle. I have met some amazing ladies with whom I  never laughed so much or so hard in a long time! We are blessed! We know we are blessed and don't any of it for granted.  Living here is a gift....so, the question is...

Once you let an animal out of its cage, how do you put it back in?

3 comments:

Amy said...

This may be a dumb question, but... are you learning the language?

Another dumb question... Are you planning on traveling anywhere within Russia? Back to a certain region maybe??!!

Amy

Mrs. Munchkin said...

I am not learning yet. However, I do plan to take lessons. I would Very much like to speak Russian!

Yes, we will return to the region when the time is right. We are very excited to do so!

Lois B said...

Since we both come from warm places, I shared your concern about winter. I was quite worried about my first winter here, but with the right gear it went well. I've enjoyed the change of seasons, something we didn't have in AZ. It was just hot and less hot.

I'm so glad to hear you're embracing the adventure! I would say we're past the honeymoon stage in Poland, but still loving it.