Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Silver and Gold

I said my first good bye today...so, it begins. I grew up saying good bye. Good bye was the norm because we moved a lot. My father was transferred often or he took new sales jobs. It was normal for me to not be settled. I was ok with this. I never knew different. My mother always said I was building character to which I responded "I think I have enough character now!" and I did. Then she said good bye to him, but thats another story for another day. We finally settled into one of the most beautiful places (see post below). We lived in a condo across the street from the beach while our home was being built. We live in the same condos now. How ironic that the first place I called home, the condo, in one of the most beautiful places is also the last. Have I come full circle?

So, now I suppose it is time to say good bye. Although we are not leaving until July/August it starts now. It starts with a dear friend from college who is in town visiting her family. Lets call her Design Diva. She makes it home to one of the most beautiful places from a banjo playing, back woods kind of place once maybe twice a year she says...if she is lucky. The description of where she lives are my words not hers. I am totally stereotyping, but when I drive thru this state I often wonder what it adds to our union except wildflowers. Design Diva and I were in design school together. We spent many a late nights in the lab constructing our plans on the computer. We spent many days at our tables in class coloring, making sure to stay in lines. Charles, our pudgy, white haired instructor who really needed a breathe mint, called it "poche" pronounced "Poe Shey". Everything you needed to learn, you learned in kindergarten...coloring that is and treating others as you would want to be treated. Design Diva did both very well! She has talent and is a treasure...

Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold. She is gold. Her goodness radiates and beams. We met for lunch to catch up and say good bye. My first good bye in a long time. Others have said it to me. Now it is my turn again...another full circle. This time is different. This time I know what good bye really means. I suppose the first time is the hardest. The more you say it, the easier it will be. I am excited for what awaits our little family! I am excited to meet my silver, but that doesn't make saying good bye to the gold any easier. Both are precious!

No comments: